04 November 2014

"How’s the happiness factor in your business?" Article by Steve Marsten

I was asked recently by a client who was having some staffing issues, what was most important to me about my job? It was a very good question. Before I could ponder an answer, my client was telling me that it was probably the quality of the work I do, or the money, or the success of the organisation, or the travel to seminars etc. But alas none of these were correct! When I thought about it for a moment, it was very clear to me – it’s the people I work with. The people that I spend over 40% of my every waking hour with – they are what’s important to me in my job.

That said - it highlights the fact that as an employer, you need to be happy by nature to attract happy workers. You need to love what you do, to attract those who love what you do, and want to do what you do!
Employers need to stay in touch with employees and observe the feelings of optimism and happiness amongst the workforce and hence look for opportunities to enhance employees’ current roles. This has a huge impact on retention rates, improved work ethic, loyalty and support.
You should spend a little time trying to identify those who are not-so-happy at work as well. They may need some TLC or perhaps just a friend to listen and reach out to.  Or if they are not-so-happy by nature, and you are a customer service business – then time should be spent identifying a job they love. Even if you don’t have that job, it may help them see that they are wasting their time (and yours).  Moving these staff on often lifts the workplace happiness dial a few pointers as well.
So it’s very important that you take the time to employ the right people, who are right for the business, and the business owner. Know what culture you want your business to create; to be known for, and to be seen to be implementing. Then as the head of the business – make sure you model the culture. The minute you drop your standards you are saying to your staff that “that’s ok!” To get your office culture on track and increase the happiness in your business ring Steve or Tina at Sothertons on 4972 1300.

No comments:

Post a Comment