It seems that Gladstone’s recent years of growth and prosperity have offered our youth an opportunity to be bold, take an educated risk, find a niche and give it a red hot go!
It was recently reported by Bankwest that last year there were 15,300 new companies registered in Australia and the majority were owned by entrepreneurs aged 25 to 34. It seems that “Gen Y entrepreneurs are reshaping the Australian economy and showing the older business generations how to do it”.
So what can we learn from this generation of business owners?
1. Passion – they know what they are passionate about, why they do what they do, and how they can help others and make a living for themselves along the way.
2. Confidence – they believe in their own abilities, are prepared to “back themselves” and take a risk. They tend to act more quickly and make decisions faster.
3. Hard work – contrary to the perception that Gen Y’s want it “easy”, in my experience, these young entrepreneurs are not afraid of hard work and are willing to invest their time and energy into their businesses even though it might not be “paying it’s way” yet.
4. They take advice – they understand that they don’t know it all, and are willing to ask for and take advice from those that can help them, have been there before, or are professionals in their field.
5. Fun – they bring fun and enthusiasm into their businesses, which is contagious.
Keep an eye out for these young business owners – they are the future of our great city and are bringing new ideas and passion to our business landscape.
At Sothertons we are passionate about business and we are dedicated to ensuring your success in business and in life. Call us today on 4972 1300 to discuss your new business venture.