10 February 2015

"Get Serious!" Article by Tina Zawila

Well January is done and dusted for another year, how has 2015 started for you?  

 During the Christmas break I always take the time to do my own "health check" - not just physically, but also financially.  And like most people, there were a few improvements I could make.  Usually by the end of January my resolutions have already started to get a little "off track".  Not this year though!

 This year, I 'got serious' with my health and well-being, and our financial position, and

·         I committed to a health and fitness program focusing on my diet, exercise and my mindset towards my health and vitality.

·         I prepared a detailed, realistic financial budget for the 2015 year, and I am tracking it daily.

So I've done this type of thing before...why am I already more successful than in past years?

There are three main reasons:

1.  I committed my goals, actions and intentions to paper.  I was clear about the outcomes I want to achieve, and I documented the actions, changes, and challenges that I needed to face on a day-to-day basis.

2.  I made a commitment to a third party to help me achieve my goals.  A coach for my health and fitness goals, and I shared my financial goals and commitments with my own financial advisors (yes, even as a financial advisor myself, I recognise the benefit of having someone else hold me accountable!).

3.  I track my progress daily.  I report to my coach and document my diet and exercise daily to keep me on track.  I use Xero Online Accounting Software on a daily basis to monitor our personal finances.  I know where our money comes and goes, I compare it to our budget, and it takes me less than a couple of minutes a day to do this!

So, if you are serious about achieving your goals this year, make sure you have given yourself every chance of success.  Document your goals, get a third party to help you, and keep track of your progress every day.  It's that simple.

At Sothertons, we help people achieve their financial and life goals.  Call us on 4972 1300 and let us help you.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment