02 December 2014

"Sometimes our ideas don’t have to be new…… just done better!" Article by Steve Marsten

Following a short break to Florence, Italy, I had the pleasure of walking through one of the most beautiful ageless cities in the world. The preservation of the old city is amazing and the whole place should be heritage listed – if they have such a thing over there.

Following some research to identify a good restaurant, I was directed to a “small restaurant” called All’Antico Vinaio. Supposedly one of the best restaurants in Florence.
Finally I walked down a winding cobbled street and noted heaps of people eating sandwich’s (and drinking glasses of wine) in the street. A large crowd was gathered outside what seemed a “hole in the wall”. It did actually have an entrance and room for five or six people to enter and be served. The rest had to line up outside to deal with the elements. After ordering a sandwich – not really sure what I ordered as they speak Italian and I don’t! However I did understand “I maka for you a gooda food!”. That sounded good enough for me.
The sandwich was the best I have ever eaten. I went back several times because the business was extremely unique. The key things I took away were:
1.       The Staff were singing and enjoying their job. I mean really happy to be there. As a result customers were relaxed and smiling as well.

2.       They acknowledged everyone all of the time. It never stopped.

3.       They never seemed to miss an opportunity to interact no matter how busy everyone in the business was. Quickly noticing anyone serving their own wine and NOT filling the glass to the top. (Yes the wine was self serve! Very impressive.)

4.       All the food was fresh. The tapenades were fresh. For every sandwich – the salads were cut from scratch.

5.       Amazing what can be produced from a very small space;

6.       And finally the bread was baked fresh on the premises and deliver hot to the front counters every hour.
I have read they won the 2013 “best street food venue in Italy” and were attempting to win the 2014 award as well. They have my vote.  At Sothertons, we use our experience to support start up businesses especially if there is a unique angle they wish to explore. Phone us to find out more on 07 4972 1300.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment