13 November 2012

"WITY - What's Important To You?" Article by Tina Zawila

Another acronym! We seem to love these here in Gladstone. This one was a new one for me.

I picked it up at the PrimeGlobal Oceania Conference in Sydney last week. PrimeGlobal is an international association of independent accounting firms. Firms across Australia, New Zealand (and even guests from Canada and the USA) converged on Sydney to listen to thought provoking speakers covering a range of topics including economics, taxation, accounting, audit and most importantly, how we can add value to our clients.

This simple, yet powerful acronym made me think - isn't that what relationships are all about? Knowing what is important to the other person?

Whether it is business or personal - asking this simple question will certainly enhance the relationship. It shows that you are genuinely interested, and based on this knowledge; you can offer your support, knowledge, experience, guidance or simply a listening ear to help them preserve, pursue or protect what's important to them.


For me, this question could prove to be quite enlightening if asked of my teenage daughters - what's important to them right now is, more than likely, very different to what's important to me. Knowing what's important to them helps me understand their decisions and actions and allows me to support, guide and protect them.

When asked of my clients, their responses provide me with invaluable information (beyond the usual financial data) and empowers me to assist them in developing strategies and actions to achieve their goals and protect what is important to them right now. It also enables us as a firm develop and provide our clients with products and services that are useful, relevant and valuable to them.

So when was the last time you asked someone "What's Important To You?”

I encourage you to ask this question of your customers/clients - their answers could make all the difference to your business relationship and help you to support and serve them. After all they are the life blood of your business. It is as simple as remembering WITY.

No comments:

Post a Comment